January 10, 2011

Firstly... HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! Even though I know you wont be reading this, I am thinking of you from the other side of the planet. Below is a pic mum sent me of my nephew Christopher having a cooking lesson:

Dad's birthday cake was apparently an orange cake (not sure if its her famous orange & poppyseed one or not) with lemon icing. Man, I miss my mum's cooking. It's my mum's cooking that prompted me do my cooking course. We had to fill out a 'why are you doing this course' questionnaire and I wrote 'to one up my mum' which is yet to happen.

Breakfast today was (shame on me) in bed! I had all-bran with added ground flaxseed and chopped walnuts with skinny lactose free milk.

There wasn't any snacking until lunch, which was a pita pizza with tomato, zucchini, salami & feta cheese. Loaded it with hot sauce, it was all good. And it kept me going until dinner.

Dinner was baked rissoles, and even though we said it was a hamburger free month, we made them into hamburgers. Oh the shame! The rissoles are made of minced beef, grated zucchini, oats, chopped almonds, egg, Italian herb seasoning, a smidge of chicken salt and this time I tried something new, grated onion. I usually chop the onion, but I saw Rachael Ray grate onion directly into her burgers and I cannot believe I never tried this before, it never occurred to me!
We went with just rissoles because neither of us were overly hungry and I am missing ingredients for the stuffed zucchini, and salad is just going in to the burger anyway.... Self justifying is truly an amazing thing. We used a wholegrain bread, it's just so damn tasty, so why not eh? So much for my wheat free dairy free year....



And that's it, that was my day of eating. I would just like to thank Frank's Hot Sauce for his contribution to my meals today. You rock Frank, and worth every bit of the $5 a bottle you cost us. xxx

EDIT: This is for the shame files, was craving something sweet and the only sweet thing in the house were the butterscotch chocolate buds used for the gingerbread men buttons. So, a handful of those later and a tooth ache, craving satisfied....

No comments: