Sweet Stuff - Glazed Pear and Macadamia Tart

Ok so here goes. It's more of a pseudo cooking challenge as I didn't have the right ingredients and had to make a bit up as I went.

Ingredients used:
5 ripe but firm pears
55g butter
65g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1tbsp lemon juice
2tbsp brandy
shortcrust pastry (self made)
1 egg white
50g macadamia nuts

First I peeled, quartered and cored the pears, then cut them into wedges. I bought them to a simmer in a pan  with the butter (cubed), sugar and vanilla extract, for about 15 minutes. I removed from heat, stirred in the brandy, and let cool. FYI, the original recipe called for a vanilla pod, and ground star anise which I couldn't find. Also, the Poire William. I can see why this would be such an asset now, however the brandy is still good, I am a sucker for brandy.


In the meantime, I made my shortcrust pastry. I used an old 'rustic' style recipe, and I have to say, I am not really a fan. You can't really roll it, you press it into place. Not that I mind, I am yet to own a rolling pin. Still, not sure I am a fan, it didn't seem as tidy or workable. I pressed it into the tin and chilled it for a stint in the fridge. Normally I would make the pastry and fridge it in a ball until ready to use & roll, but not this time.


Then I brushed the pastry tin with egg white, forked the pear in, and sprinkled the nuts.


I baked on 180 C for 30 minutes, while using the rest of the buttery brandy mix to make a syrup. Or should I say, try to make a syrup. I added some cinnamon for fun.
I drizzled the tart with the runny glaze and reduced the heat in the oven to about 160, and baked for a further 10 minutes. Cooled in the tin, and voila:


The recipe called for vanilla icecream but I think I will wait until I make the uber version when more $ comes along, as I have just the right icecream in mind. For now though, this was a pretty tidy effort and I have to say, it is bloody delicious.

A few notes. Firstly, I miss the vanilla extract I used to get from Sainsbury's in the UK. It included the seeds and was bloody delightful to work with. Next time I will fork up the $7 per vanilla pod. I do love vanilla. Quality vanilla that is.
Second, the glaze was a bit runny, which annoyed me a bit, I obviously over did it with the brandy. Who can blame me really?!
Lastly, I am not the biggest shortcrust or any pastry fan, as I don't really like butter. I reckon if I made this on filo it would totally kick ass.

Overall though, it was much less effort than I thought, though so many areas where it could go wrong, including unobtainable ingredients. Seriously Canada, what are you doing to me?!
The uber version of this tart must be nothing short of amazing, so I am going to attempt it again in a couple of months. Also, I am challenging my mum to have a crack at it, we can compare notes. I might ask her to write a blog entry on it also. How does that sound?

No comments: