June 26, 2011

Oh man, the supermarkets let me down once again.

Let me start with the beginning of the day. I had half a grapefruit for breakfast and read a book for a while and took Sophie for a walk. Lee popped home at lunch time and bought me a chicken pita, it was so loaded it was messy to eat, and I can't imagine this one was particularly healthy being so loaded with tzatziki and feta. Still, soooo yummy.

I walked to the supermarket to get the ingredients for the steak and guinness pie, and stuffed if I could find puff pastry anywhere. I even asked, and they told me where it should be, but it appears they were sold out. Sold out?! It't not like puff pastry is a new release or anything. Plus, I wanted to use pancetta instead of bacon but they appeared to be out of that too. What's going on?! Why is it when I want to cook something, ingredients are impossible to find?! I managed to get just about everything though, so Lee had to pick up the puff on his way home, just meant dinner was a little later. I 'could' have made it, but without a rolling pin, or even better, a KitchenAid stand-up mixer with the rolling attachment, it would be a lot of hassle. Hell, even with the appliances and tools its a hassle.

Anyway, I cooked up the pie ingredients, this is what it looked like in progress:


Meanwhile, I played a game of 'one for the pie, one for me':


This was the final result, and it was goooood:


It's not exactly sky high, but I did what I could. And oh my, I have never had a steak and guinness pie with gruyere in the pastry layers. I am SO glad I got some, it was on fire!

I was going to make dessert - the almond pie Meredith suggested a while ago but it didn't happen. Soon though, I might do that during the week. Really string out the 'atta boy' thing. As for tonight though, we have some vanilla bean frozen yogurt for dessert. It should be a winner :)

5 comments:

Meredith said...

i just posted. didn't show up??
anyway, the pie looks great! I feel kinda sick tonight but you just made me hungry again (in a weird nauseating way). hmmm. maybe time to go to bed and sleep it off. now i have given you a cooking challenge with that dessert.......you need to give me one! I'm ready for a challenge :)

Spans said...

I have been thinking about this since you posted Meredith and I am drawing a blank! What food do you like? Do you eat just about everything? What does Sam like? You should totally make the pie! they look awesome in individual pie dishes, you can really get the puff going and present them really nicely :)

Meredith said...

we love everything. i particularly like comfort foods like roasts, casseroles, stews etc. do you have the recipe for the pies? look so yum!

Spans said...

The pies recipe is in Good Taste (the aussie mag) this month! Go get it! My mum sent the recipe to me, they look amazing as individual pies so will do that next time. I too am a roaster, cant wait for winter to come back!

Meredith said...

ha, i have that exact magazine sitting here next to me at the computer! and they are on the front cover!!! durr brain I have friends for dinner.....I might make individuals? see how I go. I'll keep you updated on their success (or not). :)