Quick update on Sweet Stuff cooking challenge...

Right, time for a bit more of an explanation on where we are with the challenge....

We are finding it tough to find some ingredients for it. Non salted raw macadamia nuts for example. Finally found some after four different supermarket visits. FOUR. And an ingredient is star anise. Still can't find that anywhere. Seriously, whats going on?! And vanilla pods, well, they are ridiculously expensive right now. As is Poire William ($40 a bottle). So here's what I am going to do. I am going to tweak the recipe just a little, and have a crack at it tomorrow night. Vanilla extract will have to do, and we will have to go sans star anise. As for the Poire William? After doing some research, I have found that brandy with pear syrup is a good substitute, so I will go with that.

I never thought it would be this difficult or expensive. But I will make you a deal. I will try this way, and when we are less strapped for cash I will go the whole hog and make the actual recipe, no tweaks. Will compare the two on a scale of 'zero to f%@!ng yummy' and see what happens.

Lesson learned though. Will need to be more thorough and thoughtful when creating polls. I will leave the results there as a teaser to myself and remind myself to be more conscious of my ideas, sometimes I get caught up in imagination and creativity that I lose sight of whats practical instead of possible. Either way when we can afford it I am totally going to make the shit out of this pear tart!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poire William is worth the $40. Star Annis ? Well doesn't it come in dried form. I reckon I've seen it in the spice section of Safeway by McCormicks. Mind you I have not needed it. Better send that recipe home mother. Brad makes Poire William at Wild Brumby. In fact there is a bottle of it in Sydney behind microwave. Wild Brumby Poire William. Not Valaisanne pears however.

Spans said...

Yeah it does come in dried form, thats the one I want, but cant find it anywhere. I might have to send you the recipe dear mother, I can cook the substandard version and you can go the whole hog!