February 15, 2011

Woke up feeling pretty groggy this morning, had my usual breakfast with a cup of tea, and then a muffin.

Lunch was not the soup, I couldn't face it. Instead I had a wrap using one of the spinach tortillas, stuffed with refried beans, lettuce, avocado and hot sauce. As much as I love refried beans, the wrap definitely needed some chicken or beef or something. 
Snacked on a yogurt with chopped walnuts after lunch, which got me through to dinner. 

So, dinner! Inspired by Rachael Ray, 'lazy lasagna'. The main difference is that you cook the lasagna sheets like pasta, and then you mix in all the ingredients together, chuck the white sauce on, and cheese, and grill it for a few minutes for the cheese to melt. I did mine with roasted butternut squash and eggplant, a basic meat sauce with spinach, and used Gruyère for the top. I mixed all this together with the pasta sheet, chucked the rest on and boom. Win. It takes about half the time (although I used roasted veg and that does take an extra half an hour, but couldn't help myself) and is easy as. The pasta takes about 7 minutes to cook, about ten for the meat sauce, and the white sauce about 10 also. Another ten in the oven/grill, and voila, you get this:



Very tasty, and definitely takes less time than a normal lasagna... but I dunno... there is something about the layers and cutting into a fresh lasagna all neat and tidy that I like. But as a half hour after work effort? Hell yeah, it tastes as good and as long as you can time everything so its all still hot when you put it together, its a winner. Seeing as though I don't have a job at the moment though, I will stick to the long way I think!

No comments: