August 20, 2011

So I was a bit stupid on the food front. I didn't have breakfast, and for lunch I hate 5 strawberries with some greek yoghurt and walnuts. I did prepare some bbq food for the party I went to - pork kebabs, honey soy chicken drumsticks and smokies (sausages). The hostess is a friend from when I was at Sun Life, it was good to see the crew again!

I took a photo after I prepped the food but the camera battery died as I did, just checked it now and its not on there. Bummer. I was a bit disappointed with the pork, mainly because I put in a buttload of chilli but they were not spicy at all. Still, they were fairly tasty & loaded with veg. I had two pork kebabs, one sausage and one chicken drumstick.
I also ate some 'nacho dip' made by one of the guys also from Sun Life, and I couldn't get enough of it. I might see if there is a lighter and less dairy way to make this. I have always been a sucker for corn chips!

And that was it for the day. I spent a good portion of the morning pouring over my new cookbooks (they arrived quickly, thanks Amazon!), this is what I got:




I have been eyeing off the Thai Street Food cookbook since I first saw it in a book store in Mosman in October 2009. I have been keeping an eye on it since, and got it discounted on Amazon. Stoked. It is very much a picture/coffee table book though, and definitely gives me the travel itch again. Might have a crack at some of the recipes soon I think.

I picked up the Donna Hay book while in Chapters (kind of like Borders here) and fell in love with it, so glad I ordered that one too. I love Donna Hay cookbooks, the photographs alone are worth it, but I always find the recipes easy(ish) and fun, not to mention delicious. I am already planning what to make first, second, third, etc!

And for G-Ram (Gordon Ramsay), I was looking at this and wasn't sure, but glad I took the plunge and bought it. There are loads of good recipes in there, and I am glad some of it is a bit westernised as it means the produce will be available. Still, nothing beats authentic cuisine, maybe its time to get the backpacks out again?

So thankful to have received the award from work allowing me to buy these cookbooks. Another friendly reminder that we are both in the right place. Doesn't mean we don't miss Australia or the UK, or the fab people we love who are currently scattered across the world, but this is where we meant to be.... for now :)



No comments: