August 1, 2011

HAPPY SWISS NATIONAL DAY


Today is the one day of the year I pretend I don't have some sort of dairy intolerance, even if the aftermath is quite severe (and obvious).
Unfortunately though, this year Lee is working night shift, and there doesn't seem to be much of a Swiss community here in 'German' Kitchener, so no raclette party for us this year.  I was originally planning a'thing' at our place but alas, that fell through, just like Australia day celebrations. Never mind. I have to tell you though, I would give anything to be in Switzerland right now, we really miss it.

So today's food!

I had half a grapefruit for breakfast. No news there really.
After I ate that I got busy in the kitchen making Lee a lasagne, which I tend to do every time he is on night shift. She is a beauty, she is loaded with meat, veg, and $8 of Gruyère cheese. The white sauce is so buttery, so creamy, so nutmeggy it makes my head spin just a little bit. There are a few good reasons to cook a lasagne first thing in the morning. The main one and my driving reason, make it before it gets too hot in here. The second is that you cant exactly have a glass of wine while cooking, its only 10am. And the other which is a personal favourite, there is plenty of time to clean up - do the dishes, wipe up those random sauce splat stains that always happen to appear on the stove top when making a lasagne, and its all clean before you eat! Not sure I will have any of this one... its slightly calorific... but looks soooo good.


For lunch I had a toasted thin bun with a smidge of goats cheese, cherry tomatoes and olives. It looked like this:


I am going to try my hardest not to have a piece of that lasagne for dinner... but I cant promise anything! Will keep yall posted.

Stay neutral everyone!

xxx

No comments: