December 25, 2011

Christmas day...

So ok, I woke up pretty stuffed from the feeding frenzy the night before. I had a banana for breakfast and tried to convince myself thats all I needed... until I saw mum having a left over beef sandwich and I had to get on board with that immediately! Smothered in spicy bbq caramelized onion, it was divine.

Lee and I head over to Nic and Mel's early to 'help' put together the lunch. Mel had everything under control though so our help was minimal. Was nice to be back in the kitchen though, and hang out with Nic, Mel, Nina & Muz.

Lunch started with appetizers - stuffed bell peppers, olives, mushrooms and a massive cheese platter. Also some little pastry cases - some with ricotta, chive & gruyere, some with pumpkin pesto & garlic mozzarella, some with red pepper pesto & mozzarella, and some with ricotta, olives & sundried tomatoes with fresh basil.
Then came lunch! Beef, ham & lamb, more condiments, a bean & asparagus salad with poppy seed dressing & crispy prosciutto which was TO DIE FOR, a rocket & almond salad, roasted pumpkin in sesame seeds, roasted potatoes, roasted tomatoes...and... forgive me Mel, I forget! It was absolutely lovely, thank you Mel.


Then followed dessert! Mel made baked cheesecakes and served them with fresh berries, cream and icecream. We also had fresh coffees made for us from Nic's coffee machine. Bloody delightful way to finish off another amazing meal.


We were all too full to think about food for a while, so after we left Nic &Mel's place, we vegged on the couch for a bit before heading to Marshall & Amanda's. Hung out with them for a bit, didn't say no to a couple of beers, and we found ourselves feeling sleepy & relaxed. Amanda had some left over chocolate tart that she makes every year for Christmas so she let me try it before releasing the recipe to me. Looking forward to making that, I think I will make it for NYE, as sober detox January looms closer. Which I think we will definitely welcome with open arms.

When we got back home, it was about 8pm, so I wouldnt say the hunger was up, but we definitely had our snack on. I had a beef roll & a mound of left over cous cous salad, and some potato salad. Another beer, and I called it a night.

Special thanks to Mel, Amanda, Heidi and Joan for putting together some truly fantastic meals. Merry Christmas guys! xx

No comments: