December 31, 2011 - continued and end....

So I should have updated this yesterday, it wasn't just the severe hangover and jetlag that prevented me from doing so, it was also that I approach this with a bit of a heavy heart, as it is my final entry. So lets cut to the food first, shall we?

We head over to Mike & Heather's after I made some foods, where we started nibbling almost immediately. I forgot to take a photo of the asparagus filo rolls, but I did take one in the making:


Heather made a baked brie en croute, with fig jam and blanched almonds, and it was bloody good. There was olive tapenade, goats cheese with fig jam, skewers with tomato, olive, bocconcini & pickled garlic, another guest bought a cheeseball (I didn't try that but it looked good!), and I made two dips - red pepper hummus and a smoked salmon one.  We also took Julie (Mike's sister who now lives in Amsterdam who came out for Christmas) a bag of twisties, and cracked into those later on after a few too many! I also think there may have been more snacks, but I have to say, I forget, a few too many caesars, Heather's stunning cocktails & champagne perhaps!



It was a very pleasant, funny, loud and relaxed New Years Eve, and great to ring it in with great folks. So now begins Sober January, which for me is wheat/dairy/sugar/caffeine/alcohol free. But you know what? What I eat this year, its not really anyone's business anymore! Originally I couldn't wait for this to end, but now I feel like I have lost something very dear to me. I guess I will have to find another way to blog something, probably food related. Writing down and telling anyone willing to read what you ate for a whole year was pretty difficult, but I learnt a lot about myself. About my eating patterns, about my energy levels, habits and about writing. I kept trying to reinvent it, keep it fresh & enjoyable but it wasn't always the case. I am still proud of this though, and think of it as somewhat of an achievement. Thank you to my loyal family, friends and followers who kept with me this year, while I didn't get a lot of comments on the blog, I did manage to get some good traffic through here. And mostly, a huge thank you to my husband who heard probably too many times (including right now) "Sorry, just gotta blog..." and holding everything up. So thank you husbandman Lee, I love ya guts.

And so, I sign out. Thanks again, Happy New Year everyone, and most importantly, happy eatings!

xx

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Anna !!! I have to say that I think "goats cheese" and "prosciutto" vied for the most mentioned food - I am for goats cheese 'cos that my personal favorite !!!

Fantastic blog though and you did keep it up all the time even though we (meaning I) didn't read it every day but always caught up on it with relish !!@@##$$

Will be good to see your next venture - food AND writing the two things you excel at.

Great to see you both in Oz too.

Love Joan

Vickie said...

And so it is done.
I will assume that even though the blog is kaput that you will continue to eat anyway. Or no blog = no food?!

Happy new year!

Spans said...

Thanks Joan! And Vick, no food? Are you serious? Of course the eating has continued, as have my random taking photos of it, but I guess the fad is over. Time to focus on something else...

Danielle said...

Awesome work!! Thats some serious commitment and you did it..woot!!

Good luck for this month, it would be a major major struggle for me!